Kolkata, New Delhi, INDIA. New York, USA.
Business To Business, Washington, 22 August 2026: A trade confrontation between the United States and Canada escalated sharply on Saturday after last-minute negotiations collapsed, triggering 50 per cent US tariffs on billions of dollars in Canadian goods and a promise of dollar-for-dollar retaliation from Ottawa.
Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney suspended the negotiations and ordered his country’s team to return from Washington. He accused the United States of changing its proposed terms at the last minute.
“Last-minute changes in the U.S. proposed terms were unfair, uneconomic, and called into question the reliability of any deal,” Carney said.
“At midnight tonight, the US intends to impose a 50% tariff on roughly $28 billion of Canadian goods. Canada will match those tariffs dollar for dollar to protect our workers and businesses,” he said.
The Office of the US Trade Representative blamed Canada for the breakdown. It said Ottawa declined to finalise an agreement under terms reached earlier in the week.
“Despite the US offer to Canada to receive the best treatment of any major exporter to our market, new demands and walk backs of other commitments by Canada have upended the careful balance reached in the past days,” it said.
The US side said its offer included significant tariff reductions covering steel, aluminium, automobiles and lumber. It also proposed cooperation on export controls, transshipment, digital trade, critical minerals and imports made with forced labour.
The package would have included supply-chain coordination in aerospace and the announcement of formal negotiations over the United States-Mexico-Canada Agreement, or USMCA.
“This is a missed opportunity for Canada to partner with the United States, which is the fastest growing economy in the G7,” the US Trade Representative said.
Carney said Canada had sought tariff-free access for most Canadian businesses, greater stability in bilateral trade and lower US tariffs on strategic industries. Ottawa also wanted to protect small and medium-sized businesses while retaining its independence and economic flexibility.
“We have recognised from the beginning that America has changed, and that we will not return to our old relationship,” he said. “Throughout, our goal has been to secure the best deal for Canadians, never a deal at any price or on any deadline.”
Carney said his government would announce additional assistance for Canadian workers and businesses in the coming days. That would build on nearly $25 billion in support provided during the previous 18 months.
US Senator Peter Welch, a Vermont Democrat and member of the Senate Finance Committee, urged President Donald Trump to withdraw the tariffs.
“These new 50% tariffs on Canadian goods are a continuation of the president’s chaotic economic policies, and a slap in the face to businesses and farmers in Vermont and northern border states across America,” Welch said.
“For the sake of American businesses, American farms, and American families, I urge President Trump to drop these tariffs and find an off-ramp to his reckless trade war,” he added.
Welch is the lead sponsor of the Creating Access to Necessary American-Canadian Duty Adjustments Act. The proposed legislation would exempt American-owned small businesses from tariffs imposed on Canada. He also supports the bipartisan Trade Review Act, which seeks to restore Congress’ role in trade policy.
The latest tariffs add pressure to an already strained relationship. Earlier US duties on automobiles, metals and forest products had prompted retaliatory Canadian measures, while Trump’s repeated remarks about Canada becoming the 51st US state fuelled anger and calls in Canada to reduce its economic reliance on the United States.